Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Weekly Quotation 8:

"An artist is always alone - if he is an artist.  
No, what the artist needs is loneliness." 

-Henry Miller: American writer and painter

This quotation has always intrigued me immensely.  The way I interpret this quotation is that an artist or designer must first put their work first if they wish to be successful.  To do this, the artist or designer needs to seclude themselves from others to really be able to submerge themselves in their work.  I agree with Miller's statement in the sense of this being applied to work that is for one's personal gain.  When I am working on projects for school that hold no emotional meaning to me, I tend to work in the presence of a friend so I do not get distracted and slack off.  However, when I am working on a project that holds emotional value to me, I find myself needing to distance myself from others to eliminate distractions and be able to look deep inside myself to pull out the emotions I want to convey in my art.

Sampling of Miller's Work:
Three Figures, watercolor. Date unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment