Sunday, March 31, 2013

Research for Final Serial Plane Project (Terracycle)

For my final serial plane project I was interested in creating a juxtaposition with the use of terracycle. I found a variety of everyday materials such as denim, laminated paper used for magazine covers, PreWrap medical tape, cardboard, and processed food bags and bottle labels (these are all glued into my sketchbook).  While researching pictures for serial planes for my second reading homework assignment, I came across these serial plane hand sculptures.  These thoroughly intrigued me, with their use of placement of the planes, the angle of them, and space surrounding the planes to create a 3D hand sculpture.  I also really enjoyed the recycled popcorn bags that we experimented with in class.  I think juxtaposition helps a piece to be very successful if it is balanced right.  For this piece, I had the idea of creating a hand made entirely out of serial planes with the actual hand in an upward cupping motion.  The juxtaposition (and terracycle) is applied on the actual materials being used.  For the planes, I am using recycled cardboard as well as recycled Smartfood popcorn bags.  The apple that will be held up in the hand will be constructed also out of recycled cardboard but with glued on laminated paper (simulated texture of an apple touch-wise).

Reference Picture #1
Front View
Reference Picture #2
Side View
Reference Picture #3
Posterior View
Reference Picture #4
Hand holding apple
 Reference Picture #5
Hand holding apple

No comments:

Post a Comment